Meridian is a city that has plenty to offer its residents and visitors of the Meridian area. With so many choices, it can be hard for people to know what they should do in town. This list provides some great ideas on things to do in Meridian. They range from something fun for everyone to more adventurous activities where only the daring need apply.
Meridian is an attractive city that has something for everyone. Here are 15 things that people should do when they visit Meridian.
1. Visit the State Capitol Building – This building is one of the most interesting attractions in Meridian due to its unique architecture and historical significance. The dome, which architect Leo M.J. Dielman designed, is decorated with 24 karat gold leaf and murals and is known as the most beautiful Capitol building in the US. Four presidents have visited it: Theodore Roosevelt 1906, William Taft 1909, Warren Harding 1920 and Dwight Eisenhower 1954.
2. Eat at Bonneville – A great place to eat dinner, Bonneville has great steaks and seafood. It has a beautiful view of the city, especially at night when lit up with thousands of lights. The food is always excellent and prepared to perfection by some of the best chefs in the area.
3. Visit Bonefire Grill – A fun place to eat and drink, Bonefire Grill is a great place to go with a group of friends. It has live music on certain nights and plenty of TVs so that people can watch whatever sports game they want on TV while enjoying their food and drinks.
4. Eat at Cattlemen’s Steakhouse – Cattlemen’s has been featured multiple times on the Food Network and is known for its award-winning steaks. The prime rib is especially tasty, as are the appetizers. It is a great place to visit with family or friends where everyone can find something they will enjoy eating.
5. Visit Old Town Meridian – This area of town is full of brightly coloured buildings that have been there since the city was founded. It has a unique atmosphere where people can enjoy shopping in the antique stores, eating in the small restaurants and just walking around to admire the beauty of one of Meridian’s oldest neighbourhoods.
6. Go Shopping at Northpark Mall – A great place for shopping, Northpark Mall is filled with all kinds of retailers so that everyone can find something they like. It has great selections and some of the best prices in town on everything from clothing to shoes to appliances. It is a fun place for groups and families because there is so much to do and see there, not just shopping.
7. Visit the Wiley Post Historical Marker – This marker commemorates Meridian’s most famous son, Wiley Post. He was a pilot who flew around the world in a design plane with a partner named Will Rogers. Along with being a famous actor and comedian, he was an avid engineer and inventor who developed many valuable inventions that have stood the test of time.
8. Visit Hobby Lobby – A craft store, unlike any other, Hobby Lobby has everything a person could need to enjoy all kinds of great hobbies and crafts from sewing to painting to jewellery making. It is the perfect place for young girls or students interested in learning a new hobby that can be enjoyed at home or even at school.
9. Visit the Train Depot – This historic building was once used to help move troops and supplies to soldiers fighting in the Civil War. Today, it is a fascinating relic of Meridian’s history and culture. It is very popular with tourists and rail enthusiasts who like to go there to learn about the city and state’s history while looking at all kinds of great artefacts found during recent renovations.
10. Eat at McDonald’s – This is a great place to stop for a quick bite to eat on the way somewhere. It has tasty burgers and sandwiches and some of the best fries around, all at a reasonable price. The atmosphere is fun and upbeat with lots of bright colours and TVs everywhere you look to keep up with the latest sports games.
11. Eat at Chick-Fil-A – This is a great place to grab some tasty fast food, especially their famous chicken sandwiches and waffle fries. It is very popular with people of all ages thanks to its affordable prices, friendly staff and clean atmosphere.
12. Play Mini Golf at Red Hawk Golf Courses – A fun place for families or groups, Red Hawk has two 18 hole mini golf courses that are challenging and fun to play. There is also a driving range nearby where people can practice their swings before playing the courses.
13. Visit the Capitol – The capital of Mississippi is located in Meridian, and it is one of the most active state capitols in the country. It is filled with interesting history and political artefacts that are fun for people to see.
14. Go to the Playhouse – This state-of-the-art theatre features live stage productions as well as classic movies, so there is something for everyone there. The stage shows are always very popular with residents looking for a fun and educational night out. The classic movies are always very popular with older people who want to remember their favourite movies from when they were younger.
15. Cruise down Highway 19 – This road is Meridian’s busiest highway, so it is a good place for people to see some of the city’s most popular landmarks without having to go too far away from home. The highway runs along the city’s border, so it is a great place to see some of the closest neighbourhood landmarks to Meridian.